Our Mission is to protect lives and
property as well as improve the quality of life in the town of Ipswich
through aggressive fire prevention and education, fire suppression,
rescue, medical assistance and hazardous materials control.
Flash Album Creator Placeholder.
Ipswich Fire Department
Welcomes it's new Chief.
Chief Gregory Gagnon was a Call Firefighter in Dracut in
1996, then full time in 1998. He was currently holding the
position of a fire captain in Dracut before coming here to
He has also served in the Coast Guard as a Petty
Officer Second Class.
Outdoor Grilling Safety Tips
Start the Summer Off Safely
“Memorial Day is the traditional launch of the summer barbecue
season,” said State Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan, “Take a few
minutes for safety and inspect grills for leaks and cracks, and
teach children to stay three feet away from any grill in use.”
Check for Leaks
“Check to make sure all the connections are tight and secure
before firing up the gas grill for the first time this season,”
said Fire Marshal Coan. “Using a brush, apply a soapy solution
made of one part dish liquid and one part water to the tank
connection. If the solution bubbles, you have a leak that needs
repair,” said Coan. He recommended checking for and replacing
any cracked hoses.
•Grills should never be used indoors or on fire escapes.
•Gas grills cannot be used on balconies above the first floor
unless there is an exterior stairway to the ground.
•Grills should be placed well away from the house (about ten
feet), deck railings and out from underneath eaves and
•Keep children and pets three feet away from the grill area.
Create a circle of safety.
•Never leave your grill burning unattended.
•Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat build-up from
the grills and trays below the grill.
•If you smell gas while cooking, immediately get away from the
grill and call the fire department. Do not move the grill.
•If the flame goes out, turn the grill and gas off and wait 15
minutes before relighting.
•Never use gasoline on any grill!
Grill Fire Facts
In 2013, there were 85 fires reported to the Massachusetts Fire
Incident Reporting System (MFIRS) involving open fired grills.
These incidents caused two civilian injuries and an estimated
dollar loss of $300,000. Three-quarters (75%) of all grill fires
occurred between May and September.
Place Grills Away from Buildings
Coan said, “Place grills well away from the exterior of the
house to keep any grill fire from also igniting a building too.
Last year, many of the grill fires started when the grill was
placed right up against an exterior wall.”
At 4:30 p.m. on October 16, 2013, a gas grill on the rear porch
ignited the exterior wall of a Braintree home, causing $100,000
in damages. No one was injured at this fire even though there
were no smoke alarms and the home was not sprinklered.
On August 17, 2013, at 5:53 p.m., the Newton Fire Department was
called to a gas grill fire at a single-family home. The grill
was left unattended and ignited the exterior of the home.
Damages from this fire were estimated to be $75,000.
On July 5, 2013, at 8:49 p.m., the Sandwich Fire Department
responded to a fire at a single-family home that started when
the charcoal grill on the porch ignited the exterior wall. One
civilian was injured at this fire trying to put it out himself
before calling the fire department. Damages from this fire were
estimated to be $85,000.
On April 10, 2012, at 7:15 p.m., the Uxbridge Fire Department
was called to a grill fire at a single-family home. The grill
was on the back porch but was too close to the exterior wall of
the home. The heat from the grill ignited the exterior wall and
the fire spread to the attic. No one was injured at this fire.
Detectors were present and alerted the occupants. The building
was not sprinklered. Damages from the blaze were estimated to be
Charcoal Grill Safety
Marshal Coan also said, “Safety must also be used around
charcoal grills. “Once the coals have been lit, never add more
lighter fluid to the fire – flames may travel up the stream of
lighter fluid resulting in serious burns. Charcoal briquettes
give off carbon monoxide, a colorless, odorless gas that can be
deadly. Make sure you always use charcoal grills outside in a
well-ventilated area.” He added,” Be sure to let the coals
completely cool before disposing in a metal container.”
Be Smart About Safety
can’t predict the next disaster, but now you can
Sign up at www.smart911.com and create your own
Safety Profile to give emergency management
officials valuable information about yourself,
family members, your home and even pets prior to
an emergency. This information will help
officials plan for and respond to you during a
natural disaster, weather related incident or
other emergency. It's private and secure and you
control what information is in your profile.
These details can save valuable seconds or even
minutes during an emergency.
Seconds count when….
• There's a weather emergency.
• You are forced to evacuate.
• Power is knocked out.
Seconds Save Lives. Sign up today at
Public Safety is a participating agency of
SafetyNet™.If you are caring for a person with
alzheimer's, autism or other cognitive disorders
which a person may wander or get lost, SafetyNet™
helps public safety find and
bring your loved ones home quickly. For more
information contact firefighter Keith Carlson,
firstname.lastname@example.org or go to the website
SafetyNet™ by LoJack®
Jeff Stone and Keith Carlson have
training course sponsored by AARP
and AAA. CarFit is an educational
program that offers older adults the
opportunity to check how well their
personal vehicles "fit" them. The
CarFit program also provides
information and materials on
community-specific resources that
could enhance their safety as
drivers, and/or increase their
mobility in the community. Fire fighters Stone and Carlson offer to
older adults by appointment, the
opportunity to come to fire
headquarters for a 12 point CarFit
check. Soon at a date to be
announced they will be having a
CarFit event at the Council on Aging.
Check if your address is
properly posted and meet the requirements of
street number by-law. Too often fire, police
and ambulance service is delayed finding an
address because the address number is either not
posted or is not visible from the street from
both directions. Please take a moment and check.
It is the law in Ipswich and could save a life!